I don’t know if it was a coincidence or not. But this week there have been news stories about patients with depression, many stories at the same time. Most recently, the death of famous artist Chester Bennington, lead singer of Linkin Park, who had a huge number of fans in Thailand. When becoming a world famous person Be successful in your work. So there are questions from people who don’t understand why he thought about committing suicide. This is because they do not understand that those people are experiencing depression.
About “Depression” that people often misunderstand
- Why do you think about committing suicide? Why don’t you fight? Why are you so weak?
with people with normal minds Haven’t had any symptoms of depression yet. May have struggled. Experiencing many life problems But he was able to get through that period of his life. and saw suicide as a solution for desperate people It is a solution to the problems of the weak.
But in fact People diagnosed with depression by a doctor It’s not just a sensitive mind. But depressed patients have problems with neurotransmitters in the brain. that has an abnormality that causes the thought process Our decisions are unusual. Various reasons that normal people can think of. In patients with depression, they may not be able to think. Therefore, it is incorrect to claim that those patients are weak or not strong, because in reality these patients are very strong since they admitted that they were depressed.
But all this There are also many people with depression who are able to overcome periods of suicide. By getting help from people around you and a psychiatrist.
- Pretending to be sad to call attention
Most people with depression don’t want attention. But they need more people to “understand” if everyone understands them. understand what he feels what he is He had no need to seek anyone’s attention. They don’t want to be famous. They just suffer from repeated depressed states of mind. As one sentence said, “No one wants to commit suicide. They just wanted to escape the suffering they were experiencing.”
- If you are suffering, go to the temple, listen to Dhamma, meditate, and you will feel better.
It is true that Buddhist principles can calm the mind. But it can only be used by people with normal mental conditions. Not a patient with depression Because as mentioned above, patients with depression have symptoms of abnormal neurotransmitter function. You will need to receive treatment from a psychiatrist who has specialized in the treatment of these diseases. And in some cases, you will need to receive medicine to adjust brain function. Therefore, getting to the core of Buddhism Sometimes it may not be the correct treatment for the disease. Or exactly to the point?
What should we do when we meet someone we know is depressed? or there is a possibility of having depression, namely
- Observe that person’s behavior. that there is sadness, stress, talking only about sad things Only stories of suffering that have occurred, posted on social media, but words that demean oneself, are angry, hate oneself, are not happy in living life. Or maybe you’ve talked about wanting to leave this โปรโมชั่น ufabet world.
- Go in and ask and talk calmly. Give them a chance to tell their story. We talked about the feelings he was going through. When he opens his mouth to speak, listen. Listen intently without searching for answers. Or ask a lot of questions Let him vent his suffering.
- Show that you understand what he is telling you. And we are ready to be beside him, giving encouragement. give him support Tell him that there is still someone who loves him. and ready to help him every time if he is needed And believe in him that he will get through this difficult time. Tell him repeatedly when you feel bad. Please always contact me.
- Don’t forget that depression is a brain disorder. The main reasons we have explained He may not understand Or understand but can’t do it Please be calm with him. Tell him repeatedly that you are glad he is still with you. How important is he to us? What advantages does he have in himself?
- If we are friends You should invite friends to do activities that they like together. Eat delicious food, exercise, go on vacation. Share each other’s sorrows.
- Don’t let him turn to alcohol. or drugs strictly
- If his condition does not improve, he begins to withdraw and isolate himself. Don’t socialize with people around you. Should be invited to see a psychiatrist (Maybe they should go together to see a psychiatrist from the start of suspicion that he might be depressed.)